First Church of Roxbury Education & Justice Center
The First Church in Roxbury’s new Education Center stands on an historic site dating back to 1635, and provides much-needed space for the Unitarian Universalist Urban Ministry’s after-school programs, community outreach operations, and congregational activities. It also creates an accessible route between the 1803 Meeting House and 1876 Chapel.
Davis Square Architects designed the new Education Center by forming a partnership with the Massachusetts Historic Commission and the Boston Landmarks Commission in order to receive preliminary approvals and feedback during design development. The final design sensitively recalls the historic context while asserting its own presence in the new millennium.