Ellis Memorial & Eldredge | 58 Berkeley Street
Founded in 1885, Ellis Memorial & Eldredge House, Inc. is a non-profit social service agency with programs at multiple locations in Boston. Since its establishment, Ellis has not strayed from its original mission of serving neighbors in the South End community. In an effort to expand and consolidate their programs, they acquired a vacant property on Berkeley Street in Boston’s South End next door to their existing facility. Davis Square Architects worked with the organization on core and shell design and construction of the historic building, which dates back to the 1920s.
The project was a gut rehabilitation of the existing structure. 58 Berkeley Street houses Ellis’ administrative offices, conference rooms as well as multiple classrooms, plus two additions to provide Ellis the space they needed in order to expand their services. The building is located in the South End Landmarks District and utilized Federal and State historic tax credits.